Mai Kuraki is a Japanese pop and R&B singer and songwriter. She is also a record producer. The Japanese artist has released many hit singles and albums. She has performed all over the world and has millions of fans. If you are curious about Mai’s life story then in this post we will be telling you all about the famous singer.
Early life and career beginnings
Mai Kuraki was born on October 28, 1982. She was born into a famous family and her father is an entrepreneur, film director, and actor, Isomi Yamasaki. Her grandfather is a poet, and her aunt is the famous Japanese actress Reiko Takizawa. Mai was inspired by Whitney Houston’s music and Michael Jackson’s dance since her childhood. Kuraki dreamed to become a singer. While in high school, she signed a deal with the music label, Giza Studio. She sent a demo tape to the label and signed a deal with them. With Giza USA and Bip! Records, Kuraki released her hit single, “Baby I Like“. She gave herself the stage name Mai K.
Mai made her debut with the US debut single “Baby I Like” in 1999. She released her debut album, Delicious Way and it ranked at the number-one spot on many charts. The album sold over 2.2 million copies. The album included hit singles, “Love, Day After Tomorrow”, “Stay by My Side”, “Secret of My Heart”, and “Never Gonna Give You Up”.
Her second album, Perfect Crime (2001) sold over 1.3 million copies nationwide. She hit the American market with an English-language studio album Secret of My Heart (2002). She released her third Japanese album, Fairy Tale and it topped the Oricon albums chart. Mai released her first compilation album, Wish You the Best (2004) and it was a huge success in Japan.
Kuraki made several television appearances and soon released her eighth studio album, All My Best (2009) topped the Japanese charts and helped her in increasing her popularity. The hit single “Togetsukyo (Kimi Omou)” was a major success in Japan and became the best-selling single for Mai. No other female artist had sold this many copies of a single. Her twelfth and thirteenth albums, Kimi Omou: Shunkashūtō (2018) and Let’s Goal!: Barairo no Jinsei (2019) did not gain a lot of success and sales and performed moderately.
Read more: Jada Fire Net Worth, Bio, Age, Career, Relationships & Other Details
Kuraki became a household name by singing the theme songs for the Japanese television anime series, Case Closed. She sang twenty-three songs for the series and also got her name mentioned in the Guinness World Record for singing many successful theme songs. Kuraki has also set a record for being the only female artist to have her songs ranked in the Top 10. She is the 38th best-selling Japanese artist of all time. Kuraki seven albums have ranked at the number 1 spot.
Read more: Dave Chappelle Net Worth, Career, Personal Life, Bio And More
Tours and performances
- Sokenbicha Natural Breeze 2001 Happy Live (2001)
- Mai Kuraki Loving You… Tour 2002 (2002)
- You & Mai First Meeting 2002 (2002)
- Giza Studio Hotrod Beach Party (2002) (As Mai-K and Friends)
- Mai Kuraki Fairy Tale Tour 02-03 (2002–2003)
- Giza Studio Valentine Concert (2003) (co-headlined with Rina Aiuchi and Garnet Crow)
- Mai Kuraki 2004 Live Tour Wish You The Best: Grow, Step by Step (2004)
- Mai-K a Tomorrow 2005 (2005)
- Mai Kuraki Live Tour 2005 Like a Fuse of Love (2005)
- Mai Kuraki Live Tour 2006 Diamond Wave (2006)
- Mai-K.net “De Ma Chi” Live de Show (2006)
- Mai Kuraki Live Tour 2007 Be With U (2007)
- Mai-K.net Exclusive Live: You & Mai Summer 2008 (2008)
- Mai Kuraki Live Tour 2008 “Touch Me!” (2008)
- 10th Anniversary Mai Kuraki Live Tour 2009 “Best” (2009)
- Mai Kuraki Live Tour “Future Kiss” (2010–2011)
Mai Kuraki has an estimated net worth of $ 3 to $5 million. She has earned her net worth from her successful singing career. The famous Japanese pop singer has released multiple successful albums throughout her career. She has earned her assets from her album sales and tours.