It is a well-known fact that a great translation of your website can work wonders in a new foreign market. However, when it comes to certain regions sometimes translating alone is not enough. In order to fully ‘un-tap’ a market’s full potential, you must localize your website. Website localization involves the adaptation of your already existing website for your target audience.
It does beyond mere text translation, the process of localizing your website enables you to captivate your audience by capturing the true essence of their culture. This can involve the proper use of visual images, date formats, and even the color scheme of your website. However, expanding into new territory is a challenge on its own but if you want to approach a massive market like Brazil you may want to entail the expertise of professional Brazilian Portuguese translations.
The Brazilian Market
So, why should you invest time in localizing your website for the Brazilian website? Brazil is the world’s seventh-largest economy, making it the largest in Latin America and the second largest in the western hemisphere. More so, trade experts have predicted that Brazil will reach the top five slots in the decade to come. Therefore, everyone wants a slice of the Brazilian market, but in order to do so there are some basics that need to be understood.
The Influence of the Portuguese
In addition to Brazil, Portuguese is the official language of Angola, Cape Verde, Guinea-Bissau, Mozambique or of course Portugal. Therefore, making Brazilian Portuguese translation a vital component of your localization process in Brazil. Since the Portuguese spoken in the Latin Americas varies from the European counterpart, some experts argue that a professional English to Portuguese translations partner may be the only solution. Since most language experts house Portuguese translators who can lend their professional translation services first hand. However, if you are still wary about accessing professional help there are a few tricks of the trade you can follow.
Tips from the Experts
Localization can be a lengthy process, but the reward at the end will be worth the extra effort. We have compiled a simple list of three guidelines to adhere to when localizing in the Brazilian market.
- Create a style guide for your website. This will help you maintain consistency in the various aspects of your site such as format, tone, and overall company code of conduct.
- It is also best practice to create a glossary of terms and definitions to be used as a reference point during the translation and localization process. This is especially important since Portuguese is so diverse you want to avoid confusion as much as possible.
Keep it Simple
- You want your website to be easy to navigate, this especially applies to the language selection panel. The user should be able to switch quickly in and out of languages of their preference.
- When designing your website layout remember to leave sufficient space for text shrinkage or expansion.
- In addition, if your website is updated on a regular basis in a content management system (CMS). Having a CMS will allow personnel with authorized access to add, remove or even change certain aspects of your website with the browser itself. Allowing for the changes to go live almost instantly.
Optimization is a Must
- The main goal of creating a website is that you want to be found easily. That is why adopting an SEO strategy is a must. SEO translates to Search Engine Optimization, and the main goal is to have your website appear in the top result when an internet search is conducted.
- This can involve image tagging, meta-tagging and so on. It is important to do this for each language you wish to localize.
Yes, that is a handful of information and just imagine that it is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to localization. More so, it is definitely not a topic you want to handle alone. Entailing the help of professional Brazilian Portuguese translation services.
At LatinoBridge we do not rely upon gimmicks to win the trust of our consumers. As the leading Brazilian Portuguese translation services provider, we let our work do the talking for us. More so,
- Although we specialize in Latin American languages, we have a multilingual team that has a global outreach to nearly every global language.
- We house all native Portuguese translators who can ensure all your translations are done with cultural and political sensitivity.
- We make it our goal to let our clients lead every decision, ensuring nothing makes it to the final table without their consent.
- We at LatinoBridge believe in keeping everything simple. Therefore, in order to streamline your projects, we pair you with a project manager who will be with you every step of the way.