With the growing number of people who are suffering from mental or emotional health problems, a career as a psychiatrist is one of the lucrative options. The main reason behind such issues is the growing amount of stress that is playing havoc with the human brain and body. Thus, career opportunities in mental healthcare are multiplying rapidly. You would have several opportunities if you decide to work as a psychiatrist in Bangalore.
Who is a Psychiatrist?
A psychiatrist can be understood as a doctor who has specialization in the diagnosis, prevention, as well as treatment of mental and emotional illness. Psychiatrists prescribe medicines and offer a variety of treatments including assessing the physical health of an individual and the effects of medication on the individual.
Psychiatry is an interesting and exciting career path that enables one to make a difference in peoples’ lives, especially those who are suffering from a mental disorder. It is a great career path if you are interested in understanding how the human mind works.
Eligibility for Becoming a Psychiatrist
For becoming a psychiatrist in Bangalore, one needs to pursue MBBS first. After that, you need to do an MD. Another path to becoming a psychiatrist is by opting for a diploma in Psychiatric medicine (DPM) from a recognized institute. A diploma can be done in 2 years whereas MD is a three-year course. The National Board of Examinations also offers a Diploma of National Board Exam (DNB) for aspirants.
Job Roles of a Psychiatrist
In psychiatry, one gets the option of choosing different specializations. The different job profiles in psychiatry are as follows:
- Substance Abuse Therapy: In this type of psychiatry, one deals with patients with substance dependencies, such as drugs or alcohol. The psychiatrist is responsible for treating the patients in groups or individually. He or she also needs to prepare recovery plans for the patients with their family members for preventing future substance abuse.
- Child and Adolescent Psychiatry: Such psychiatrists deal with children and their families. They perform diagnostic exams for assessing the current problem of a child and evaluating whether the problem is physical, genetic, cognitive, developmental, educational, or related to peer pressure.
- Adult Psychiatry: These psychiatrists deal with adults and their mental disorders. Depending on the disorder, the diagnosis can include mood disorders, anxiety disorders, addiction medicine, general psychiatry, and other issues related to mental stress.
- Psychosomatic medicine: This branch of psychiatry is also referred to as consultation-liaison psychiatry. It involves a complex diagnosis as well as treatment of psychiatric disorders. These psychiatrists counsel the patients regarding the problems which might be affecting their mental health. They also create care plans, prescribe medicines, and run essential diagnostic tests.
- Emergency Psychiatry: Emergency Psychiatry is the application of psychiatry in emergencies. Such situations can be depression, attempted suicide, psychosis, violence, or substance abuse. Care of such patients includes crisis stabilization of different mental disorders.
- Geriatric Psychiatry: This branch focuses on the evaluation, diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of mental and emotional disorders in elders. Such disorders include anxiety, dementia, schizophrenia, and depression. The geriatric psychiatrist listens and responds to the needs of older adults and works out a treatment plan.
Being a psychiatrist in Bangalore is one of the best career options with the growing stress in society, especially among the youth. The above article was an introduction to psychiatry if you are looking at it as a career path.