The rangers’ dream season in Europe will be culminating in the Europa League final against Eintracht Frankfurt. The team swept aside RB Leipzig in a power-packed game on a memorable night at Ibrox.
Trailing 1-0 from the first leg, the Rangers turned the heat up in the semi-final. They changed the game in 25 minutes. The goals made by James Tavernier and Glen Kamara helped the team to win the game.
Christopher Nkunku’s 32nd goal of the season was levelled up and tied again tie before John Lundstram shook Ibrox swept home. Leipzig, have a talented squad, but they could find no answer in the closing stages of the match. The depleted Rangers sided completely with the remarkable run from the play-off round to the final.
The Powerful Performance By The Rangers
Giovanni van Bronckhorst’s men will be playing their next match at Seville on 18 May. This will be a tantalising chance for the team to win the club’s first European trophy for 50 years.
The Rangers players looked in disbelief due to their incredible achievement. Their performance was worthy of this win. Firstly, Kamara held up the ball that he had no right to retain. He then offloaded the ball to Ryan Kent who picked out Tavernier for his seventh goal in the Europa League campaign.
The fans behind the goal were in sheer elation. The match even got better six minutes later when Kamara hit a shot with a weaker foot into the back of the net. The rangers were completely rattled and made three goals down before Joe Aribo sclaffed a volley in the five yards.
The lively Kent hung a cross into the box and Lundstram made the winning goal to send Ibrox into the foundations. Fashion Sakala did a clean through, but it did not mess up the game for the Rangers as the final minutes for them had comfort. The team had already knocked the stuffing from Leipzig.
Europa League Stats
- RB Leipzig is the fifth side in the Europa League since 2009-10 who have been eliminated in the semi-finals even after winning the first leg after Benfica in 2010-11. The team won the Sporting Lisbon in 2011-12, Fenerbahce in 2012-13 and Villarreal in 2015-16.
- Giovanni van Bronckhorst has become the first Dutch manager who has reached the final of the Uefa Cup/Europa League. He is in charge of the non-Dutch side since Dick Advocaat in 2008.
- RB Leipzig have lost their previous two visits and will be facing the Scottish sides in European club competition. It is the first time for the German side to have lost each of their first two such visits.
- James Tavernier scored seven goals in the Europa League. He has been the outright Rangers player who has performed so well in the single season in European club competition.
- John Lundstram scored his second Europa League goal of the season. He has previously made 13 appearances and have come up against German opposition. In the Scottish Premiership this season, the player has been a part of the 26 games.