Trazodone is a drug that is used to treat depression. It is an anti-depressant that is prescribed by doctors when the patient is facing the symptoms of depression and anxiety. Trazodone balances the level of serotonin that develops in the brain and causes depression. The medicine is approved by the Food Drug Administration FDA.
When is Trazodone prescribed?
Depression is one of the most common problems faced by women in the world. There are many antidepressants in the market to treat depression and Trazodone is one of them. It is used to treat chronic depression. If a patient is affected by other branches of mental health problems like anxiety, schizophrenia, or any kind of side effects experienced due to side effects from other medicines.
There are many people in the world who have a disturbed sleep cycle because they are not able to sleep comfortably. Such patients are affected by a disease called insomnia. Trazodone is also used to treat patients who are suffering from insomnia. The drug is also very useful for people with the disease of Alzheimer. Trazodone is very helpful to treat the disturbed sleep cycles during the night and doesn’t cause laziness or craving for naps during the daytime.
Trazodone side effects
No medicine and drug come with no side effects at all. Although medicines have helped mankind a great deal they still have side effects. Trazodone is no different and it comes with multiple side effects that can be faced by the users. Some of the common side effects of the medicine are:
It can cause headache
- Our body is full of muscles and the dosage of the medicine can cause muscles aches and pains
- Users can experience a feeling of nausea and can even have vomiting. They might feel that they have lost their appetite for food or even experience stomach aches
- The medicine can also cause indigestion that can lead to constipation or diarrhoea
- The high dosage of drug can make men lose interest in sex and also causes erectile dysfunction
- The users may sweat a lot and develop rashes on their skin
- The mind gets numb and loses emotions and the person is confused whole carrying out their daily life chores
- The users can also experience blurriness in their vision
If you are facing any of the above mentioned side effects you need to contact your doctor right away and switch to some other medication. If a patient keeps on using the drug after facing side effects he/she might suffer from severe depression. They can also have panic attacks and have suicidal thoughts.
If you are taking other drugs alongside trazodone it might cause more problems for you. The use of other drugs can affect the way trazodone works for you and the working of other drugs also might get affected by Trazodone. Make sure to tell your doctor about the drugs you are taking at the moment so that you don’t suffer from side effects caused by interactions. The medicines and drugs that have serious interaction with Trazodone drug are as follows:
- Warfarin, Aspirin that are known to be blood thinners
- Drugs that are prescribed to treat mental problems
- The medications that are used to treat allergic reactions or cold and cough
- Medicines used to treat heart problems
- Drugs used to treat HIV
The dosage of Trazodone depends on the prescription given by the doctor. You might have to break down the tablet into half as instructed by the doctor. Most doctors instruct you to start with a little dose of Trazodone and then increase it after 3 to 4 days of use. Most patients are instructed to take the medicine two to three times a day along with food but it varies from patient to patient. Never take the medicine without consulting with your doctor.